Thanks Graeme Nicholl. Everything is perspective. How you choose to look at anything determines how you feel. And if you don’t like how you feel, consider asking a different question about the thing that got you to that feeling in the first place.

So how could we choose to feel about “unfinished work”:

Negative (fixed mindset)

  • A failure because I can’t complete it (anything)
  • Stupid
  • Lazy
  • Uninspired

Positive (growth mindset)

  • Everything is a draft until published (totally neutral)
  • Unfinished because I had to write that poem, book, article, to realize it’s not what I wanted to say. Next!
  • What great practice. The more I write, the better I get.
  • Good, got that idea out of my head. Need to let it sit there because I’m not sure what to do with it, yet.

But you know what? I ain’t perfect. I used to get so frustrated about things like this, and I sometimes still do. But if you are a writer, if you want to be a writer, like almost ANYTHING in life, the best 20% of your effort (your writing) is what you will publish. The other 80% is practice, garbage, figuring it all out.

You write and then you edit.

Do you have any idea how much of a movie gets filmed that we NEVER see?

As a writer, if you are anything like me, you write to become. You write to explore, to better understand yourself, or to better understand something you want to share with the world.

At college how many books and aritcles do you need to read before you can write and submit a paper? How much work do you need to do to get ready to write?

You ARE doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing. :-)

Written by

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store